02 April 2010

Thoughts - 26th March 2010

26th March 2010

Woke up thinking about how all this was going to work and realise that I will be producing 3 books of quite similar images of road signs - the thought of going to Amsterdam is a relief as the words in a foreign language will help break the monotony.

Need to think about how I will present the images in the book as that will determine how I take the photos. If I use digital SLR but want square images do I develop a grid to ensure I compose images based on a square or just make sure I spend the time when processing the images to crop to square.

Also could it all be in black and white - that would be a lot of film to process. Or perhaps use digital and then convert to black and white.

I also like the idea of the 'montage' and using found images. I am still striving to be messy and loose in my image making and my style (I still find this very difficult). I will collect tickets and leaflets from my travels as well as using the photographs I take to assemble the book.

Borrowed books from the library:
An Approach to Type - John R Biggs
Beware Wet Pain - Alan Fletcher
Graphic Design Timeline - Steven Heller and Elinor Pettit
Design History a Students' Handbook - Hazel Conway
Design: A Concise History - Thomas Hauffe
Bauhaus 1919-1933 - Taschen

Ideas:
Find out what was being designed at the time Helvetica was being designed to give some context to the world the Swiss guys were living in. Alan Fletcher uses typefaces as raw material in his art - he used an alphabet to create his iron garden gates. They are beautiful.

Evening:
Scanned in lots of images from the Montage and Beware Wet Paint books I borrowed from the library so that I can get inspiration to be messy.

Worked up ideas for the way I would use the 6'x4' wall space and instead of 1 foot high letters I decided the negative space in the 'a' was a much more intriguing design. Added Helvetica to the top and my name above it.



I think I will need new business cards to reflect this design - oh joy another chance to get things from Moo - I love that company and the effort they put into the packaging of their products for you. Delightful.

Thought about costs - four 10"x8" softcover books from blurb of more than 80 pages will cost £20 per book approx. I will also need to source the brackets to hold the books they might be approx £10 each but will ask Chris for advice. The wall will either be acrylic cut outs stuck to a white wall or a poster pasted to the wall - whichever works out cheapest will contact Hardy Signs but would guess at spending around £70 on that. A day trip to Amsterdam on 6th May on BMI baby costs £75.

Thinking about the design for the covers of the books I think they will need the negative space tear drop and also the name of the place visited. Will work up some ideas on that.

Now that I have all this information I feel that I can write the Statement of Intent that has been requested for 1st April.

No comments:

Post a Comment