13 May 2010

Thoughts - 13th May 2010

13th May 2010
All the prospectus work is now done so I can concentrate on getting everything finished for FMP. Mr Love has not responded to my gentle reminder email that I sent on Tuesday. But I don't have to wait for his Preface words before I get on with my pages. I have lots and lots of words and to be honest I do not think anyone will read them but I want them to be something I am happy with. To this end I will need to spend quite a bit of time whilst sober working on that over the weekend. I have been able to clear all but horse sorting and Monaco Grand Prix watching out of the weekend. I should be able to get it all done by Sunday.

Because of the intensity and high level of work I have given myself to create the books; design the pages; travel; take and process the images that I have not done anything in the way of a sketchbook. I almost feel that the books themselves will be the sketchbook. I have not thought about what to create to hand in on 28th May. I have of course been completing this blog to show how I am progressing and how I am reflecting on external influences and adapting my ideas. One thing I want to do with this blog is to add images to show what I have been talking about and I will do that at some point - perhaps when I have sent the books off to Blurb.

Yesterday I was considering the look of the exhibition and moving away from the blue shape on the wall. I thought about posters on the wall with my favourite 'a', 'b' and 'c' images, the acrylic book holder screwed to wall through the poster and the books placed inside. I will mock up this idea and put it on here.

Spent some time today reading through the Lars Muller - "Homage to a typeface" book and noticed he had made some mistakes with the images and the identification of Helvetica, just as I have - I feel vindicated.

It would be nice if Blurb offered other shapes for their books. I think that 10"x8" is too big and that 7"x7" is just too small...perhaps a 6"x4".

Reviewing the work that I have done I find I still need to complete 37 letters for the Burton book and will need to be out with my camera tomorrow or over the weekend.

Ha ha ... it seems that when I discover I have some time I find a massively time consuming way to fill it. Over lunch I was reading a couple of books and thinking about the fact that I would have black left hand pages in all my books. I have been asked what will appear on the facing pages by a couple of people and have always said: "blank pages". But thinking it through and looking at just how much information I have gathered for the text pages of the books .... I have decided to disseminate that information into snippets of information, quotes, jokes, facts and figures on put those onto the blank left hand pages. I now need to prepare 73 pages, phew.

This is actually going OK. I have been able to create 20 in about an hour. I will stop doing this on small laptop screen at college and get on with when I get home on larger screen and better room lighting. I will, of course, now worry about whether they should be all in the same position - I do not think so - they need to be all over the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment