21 October 2009

Research - Bill Owens

Bill Owens
1938 -
Photographer, brewer, distiller and raconteur.
His book 'Suburbia' published in 1972 has wonderful black and white images of families at rest and play in the suburbs of America. His photos are taken with a certain amount of voyeurism. I love the fact that people are just 'doing their thing' and he has captured them in a compassionate and amusing manner. Although voyeuristic it does not feel intrusive. He obviously has a relationship with the subject and they are at ease with him.

Although she is looking at the camera this does not have the feel of a portrait. It is intimate and amusing.

A man hard at work.

Before


After

I like the idea of revisiting images and will try this myself.

Bill Owens more recent work is of food. He has visited food outlets and kitchens to photograph food. These images are very reminiscent of Martin Parr's work - this might be because of the high level of saturation in the images. I think it gives them a very harsh and un-food-like quality. The food is not appealing and I would not consider eating it. These images are my favourites from that series.




No comments:

Post a Comment